Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

The Apothecary's Daughter was free for Kindle awhile back and I finally got around to reading it. It is set around 1800's England, and features Lilly who helps out her father and his apprentice in his apothecary shop. She has a brother who suffered a birth defect making him mentally challenged. Her mother left the family a few years back. And, if that weren't enough, she has many men all vying for her affection.

Typing it all out like that, the story sounds rather complicated, but actually it read really well. There was a lot going on, but it all fit into the story and there was no part where I was confused about anything that was happening. I enjoyed reading Lilly's story, because the majority of the story deals with her trying to find herself and figure out exactly what she wants.

The men that like her all have their good qualities and their bad, and I found myself rooting for each one to end up with her at different times throughout The Apothecary's Daughter. There were times throughout the story that I couldn't believe she'd end up with any of them. However, I was pleased by the result. (And no, I am not going to spoil it).

The drawback to The Apothecary's Daughter was that there were some characters that I felt were left unresolved. There were a number of characters to keep track of, so it makes sense that there wasn't enough space to fully resolve all of the issues, but I just needed a little something more to let me know how they made out.

All in all it was a good story, but it didn't wow me.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment