Saturday, April 9, 2011

Arms of an Angel by Linda Boulanger


There is an amazing website that I am a part of, called Goodreads. Goodreads is a website that lets you keep track and rate all of the books you've read. They also have online book clubs. One of the groups I am a part of is called The Sisterhood of the Traveling book, and as the name suggests, we mail books to each other, all over the United States. Sometimes these are books we've liked, other times they're donated by the author, and still other times they are books that members have won on the giveaways.

Arms of an Angel was a book that was mailed to me by a fellow sisterhood member. It is a novella that tells the story of Claire Orion. Claire should have everything, she's rich and beautiful with a sharp tongue and a quick mind. However, she suffers from very low self-worth and is determined to end it all. By chance she meets Garrett, who helps her with feeling that maybe life is worth living after all.

I know that this was a novella, so the story had to be told in a very short amount of time. So, I have no issue with the pace of the book. The dialogue in the book, however, left something to be desired. Neither Garrett nor Claire spoke like a 20 or 30 something year-old. Instead they sounded like high-society old ladies at tea. It just left an unreal quality and I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

Other than that, it was a compelling and quick read. It is really a good novella for anyone to read who might be suffering from low self-worth. Claire was adorable and Garrett was a true knight. In fact, I would have liked to have seen this story expanded even more, it felt like it had enough material for a full-length novel.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment