Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Pursuit of Pleasure by Elizabeth Essex


When I saw that The Pursuit of Pleasure by Elizabeth Essex was free on Amazon for my Kindle, I downloaded it thinking that it would be a guilty pleasure type of romance. What I got was better than I expected.

The story is set in 17th century England and starts out with two people, Elizabeth (Lizzie) and Jamie entering into a marriage of convenience. He wanted to secure his property while he was away on a naval mission and she wants some independence to live the way she chooses. The story had my attention from the start and it turned out to be quite good.

The characters are likable and believable, however their romance together seemed a bit forced at times, especially given they had such a short amount of time together before Jamie had to leave on business.

The sex scenes were hot and steamy and very well-written. The only minor complaint I have with them is that their placement in the book was a bit awkward. The two characters go from hating each other to making love then right back to hating each other. It got a little confusing as to what the reader was supposed to be feeling.

Despite those minor complaints, the book was a good read. I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment